What are Microfiber Leather Shoes and How to Clean Them – Ultimate Guide to Microfiber Shoes and Boots
Have you been looking for a really lightweight, comfortable, breathable and affordable synthetic leather shoes for yourself?
If this is the case, then you have reached the right place.
Your solution lies in obtaining a reliable microfiber leather shoes for your feet.
The best thing about these microfiber leather boots or shoes is their lightness, comfort level and their affordable price range.
Today, I am going to talk about microfiber leather footwear in more detail.
In this complete guide, you will come to know the lesser known facts about these types of shoes and you will also learn the best methods to clean these synthetic leather footwear at your home.
Before we go into the other stuff, its important for you to know few basics about these shoes. So, let us start with the basic knowledge about these shoes.
What are Microfiber Leather Shoes?
If you don’t know what microfiber is; then let me explain it to you.
A microfiber or microfibre is actually a very thin synthetic fiber material. Its diameter is less than 10 micrometers which comes to about 0.001 cm.
The microfiber material is made by combining several other synthetic materials like nylon, Nomex, Kevlar, and Trogamide, etc.
So basically, they are manufactured by mixing various proportions of polyamides, polyesters, and polypropylene. To know more microfiber properties, I recommend to check out its Wikipedia page.
The microfiber shoes are basically made from a microfiber leather material. It’s one type of faux leather or synthetic leather in particular.
The material of these shoes is basically made by combining microfiber non-woven fabric coating and a layer of high-performance polyurethane resins.
Basically; the upper, insole and the lining of the shoes are made from microfiber leather material in these types of footwear products.
8 Benefits or Advantages of Using Microfiber Leather Shoes
These synthetic leather shoes or boots have several advantages over using real leather footwear products. Some of them are mentioned as below.
1. They are very lightweight and highly comfortable to use.
2. You feel like you are wearing almost real leather material shoes on your feet.
3. Microfiber is highly anti-bacterial in nature which provides your foot the much-needed protection from bacterial infection.
4. These shoes also provide you a protection from sweating and bad odor. If you have sweaty feet, then these shoes are best solution for your feet.
5. Microfiber material acts as a great water repellent. Therefore, they are water resistant and offers a good breathability feature too.
6. These shoes are highly environment friendly and you can wash them easily in your washing machine without any issues.
7. They are highly durable in nature because of their higher abrasion resistance and tear strength.
8. The microfiber also offers higher flexing endurance and tensile strength which makes it long lasting.
Microfiber vs Leather Shoes Comparison - Which One Should You Choose?
Is microfiber better than the leather material? Is microfiber leather a real leather? And how does it compare to a real leather shoe?
These were the most important questions in my mind before I decided to use microfiber leather footwear for my feet.
To answer these questions, we need to first know the basic differences between real leather shoes and microfiber leather shoes.
So, let’s get onto it.
Real Leather Shoes
Microfiber Leather Shoes
1. Leather shoes are mostly made from genuine or premium leather material derived usually from animal skin or animal hide.
1. Microfiber shoes are made by combining microfiber fabric coating with a layer of high-performance polyurethane resins.
2. Highly Durable and elastic in nature. But microfiber leather is more elastic in nature.
2. Due to fineness of microfiber fabric, the material of the microfiber leather shoe is highly durable and flexible in nature.
3. Genuine leather shoe material is mostly made from animal skin. Because of this fact, it has a strong animal skin like smell. It creates a bad odour when you wear these shoes for a long period. It specially creates foul smell when you have sweaty feet.
3. Microfiber leather shoes are odour free due to its fabric material nature. They also prevent excessive sweating due to their breathable properties.
4. The abrasion and chemical resistance capability of genuine leather shoes is less than that of microfiber shoes.
4. Microfiber footwear have higher chemical and abrasion resistance capability in comparison with the pure leather footwear.
5. Leather footwear is highly durable but its overall life span is less than that of microfiber footwear.
5. These shoes are made from various types of polyamides, polyurethane, polyesters and polypropylene. These materials are highly durable and they make the microfiber leather footwear even more durable than their genuine leather counterparts.
6. Unfortunately, leather soles are bit slippery in nature and you have to make them anti-skid by applying few tricks. These shoes are prone to accidental slips and skids.
6. Microfiber boots and shoes are excellent in terms of anti-creasing properties. They offer higher anti-slip features as compared to the real leather shoes and boots.
7. Finally, when it comes to price factor; due to their high manufacturing cost, the genuine leather shoes and boots are more expensive in nature.
7. These shoes and boots have low manufacturing cost and that’s why they are cheaper than the real leather footwear. Thus, if you are looking for best affordable real leather shoe alternative, then I strongly recommend to choose microfiber boots and shoes.
8. Leather shoes are made from animal hide which is why they are not eco friendly.
8. Microfiber shoes and boots are made from environment friendly fabric material.
So, Is Microfiber Shoe Better than The Leather Shoe?
If you are thinking from the pricing and environment point of view, then definitely “Yes”.
Microfiber leather shoes are more superior to pure leather shoes in terms of their durability, comfort, flexibility, breathability and eco-friendly nature.
They offer much better anti-slip feature and they are highly chemical and abrasion resistant as compared to the pure leather shoes.
So, cost wise and feature wise; I would recommend to choose microfiber leather shoes over genuine leather shoes.
However, if you are a fan of genuine leather material and want much more authenticity and premium look, then I suggest you go for real leather footwear.
recommended articles for you:
Most Frequently Asked Questions Regarding Microfiber Shoes
Is Microfiber Leather a Real Leather?
No, it’s not. Microfiber leather is a type of synthetic leather or faux leather.
It is not a real leather material as explained in the beginning.
Are Microfiber Boots Waterproof?
Actually, these boots are not 100% waterproof in nature. They certainly are water resistant but not waterproof.
Microfiber material is basically made from different types of polyamides, polyurethane, polyesters and polypropylene fabrics.
These materials are actually highly water repellent by nature. This is the reason; you need to first decide whether you want water resistant or waterproof boots for your feet.
But the good news is you can still make your microfiber leather boots waterproof with the help of a good quality suede shoe cleaning brush and a reliable waterproofing spray like a BootRescue Protector Spray.
The short process for making your microfiber footwear waterproof is mentioned at this Leaf.Tv article.
Are Microfiber Shoes Good and Safe for Your Feet?
Yes, they certainly are. Because they are highly comfortable, durable, flexible and breathable in nature.
These shoes protect you from bacterial infection and keep your feet sweat free and odor free.
They are extremely abrasion and chemical resistant in nature.
They provide good anti-slip features and cost wise; they are much more affordable than the real leather footwear.
Are Microfiber Shoes Easy to Clean?
Yes, they are. You can easily clean them with the help of a mild dish soap or a rubbing alcohol solution.
The microfiber material is usually very easy to clean and very durable in nature. You can clean and wash these shoes with either water based or solvent based cleaners.
The only precaution you need to take when cleaning these microfiber or microsuede shoes is to not use any commercial type cleaner or cleaning solutions like acetone and bleach.
Because these commercial cleaners can ruin your shoe material by leaving stain residues. So, avoid them at all cost.
How to Properly Clean Microfiber Leather Shoes?
Microfiber shoes are also known as microsuede shoes. You can certainly clean them with household cleaning methods.
The fabric material of this shoe is usually water resistant and stain resistant by nature. This man-made suede leather shoe is very easy to clean and wash at your home.
Unlike leather shoes, you don’t have to worry too much about the material damage of the microfiber shoes. Some of the easiest cleaning methods are as mentioned below.
Using Mild Dish Soap to Clean Microfiber Shoes:
You can wash and clean your microfiber leather shoes with the help of mild dish soap. The safest dish soap that you can use for this method is Dawn Ultra Dishwashing Liquid Soap.
Things You will Need:
1. Dawn Ultra Dishwashing Liquid Soap
2. Suede Cleaning Brush
3. Microfiber Cloth
4. Warm Water
1. First, you will need to clean the dirt from your shoe. For this, you will need to use a good quality suede cleaning brush. With the brush, clean the upper, sole and the back of your shoes carefully.
2. Once this is done, take a microfiber cloth and dampen it with warm water in the glass bowl.
3. When you dampen the cloth properly, its time to use a pea sized Dawn liquid dish soap. Just drop the liquid soap on the cloth and rub the cloth together to make a foam.
4. Now start scrubbing all the dirty and stained areas of your shoe with this cloth. Rub the visible stained marks and dirt properly. When you see a foam is formed on the shoe, just wipe it down with another dry cloth.
5. Keep repeating this process till you get good cleaning results. Once you are done cleaning, it’s time to let your shoe air dry in the open for next 1-2 hours.
How to Protect or Care for Microfiber Leather Shoes?
Microfiber shoes are already very durable by nature and even more long lasting than your real leather footwear.
The best way to maintain these shoes is to regularly clean them at least once every week or two. The above cleaning methods surely will help you to keep your shoes clean and dirt free.
But if you want to enhance their life span a bit more, then you can simply waterproof them to increase their water resistance level even higher.
The best way to waterproof these microfiber shoes is to use a good quality waterproof spray for shoes such as BootRescue Waterproofing Spray.
First, you will need to clean your shoes or boots with a suede cleaning brush. Then use the above mentioned waterproofing spray on your shoes. Keep the spray at a distance of about 8 to 10 inches from the shoes to make proper coating.
Once you spray the solution all over your shoe, let it air dry for next 1-2 hours. Don’t try to dry your shoes with heater or hair dryer which could cause material damage.
Is There any Difference Between Microfiber and Microsuede Shoes?
There is a very minor difference between microfiber and microsuede shoes. In reality, microsuede is one type of microfiber itself.
There is a texture difference between the two. Microsuede has basically raised suede texture and microfiber possesses a very soft and smooth texture made up of polyesters, polyamides and polypropylene material.
Microsuede material is often a great alternative to real suede material. Because it can be very cheaply manufactured as it is made from microfiber itself.
So, when you compare both of these materials, you will come to know that there is a little difference between the two.
The shoes made from microfiber and microsuede are both equally durable, water resistant, flexible and easily washable.
Are Microfiber Shoes Bad for Your Skin?
According to this article that I came across while doing my research, microfiber material seems to provide good health benefits for a human skin.
There are several benefits of microfiber material such as:
1. The microfiber towels are now being used to clean the faces by several women.
2. The shoes that are made from microfiber material does not contain any harsh chemicals or materials that can create any skin allergies.
3. These shoes are easy to clean, wash and dry.
4. These shoes are environment friendly which means it is safe to use and dispose them whenever they become unusable.
All these reasons lead us to one conclusion that the microfiber footwear products are safe to use and they don’t cause any side effects for our skin.
How Often Should You Wash Microfiber Boots?
Ideally any shoe or boot you wear on a regular basis, must be washed every 15 days or 2 weeks.
But this also depends on how long you wear your shoes, what type of shoes you have and how much dirty they become on a daily basis.
If you are currently wearing microfiber boots, then you can just wash or clean them by using rubbing alcohol or a mild dish soap as mentioned above.
I recommend to wash them at least once in 2 weeks. Cleaning them is really easy and doesn’t take more than 5-10 minutes.
Yes, if they become really dirty in a week, then I suggest to wash them at least once every week.
Is Microfiber Shoe Mold Resistant?
Yes, they are to a certain extent.
As we already discussed above, we now know that microfiber is highly abrasion and chemical resistant in nature. They also prevent bacterial infection to a great extent.
Their breathable property allows you to keep your feet odor free and sweat free.
The shoes that are made from microfiber material are equally anti-mildew in nature. This feature helps your shoes to stay mold free for a long time period.
I can’t say certainly for how long these shoes stay mold resistant.
But one thing is sure, that these shoes do repel mold and are a good option if you don’t want to purchase leather shoes just to store them in a rack for a longer time period.
Are Microfiber Leather Shoes Eco Friendly?
Yes, your microfiber shoes are certainly environment friendly because they are not made from animal hide or skin like your leather shoes.
They are made from factory manufactured polyamides, polyesters, and polypropylene fabric material.
It is used in different types of sports shoes, slippers, safety shoes and sandals.
Microfiber non PVC and PU are great alternatives to genuine leather material. Today, it is being used in most popular eco friendly Vegan shoes.
So, you can certainly say that most microfiber footwear are eco-friendly in nature.
3 Most Recommended Microfiber Boots for Women
There are lot of good brands already producing different types of microfiber shoes and boots.
From my own research, I have found out the 3 best microfiber boots for women that are ideal for them to wear in the winter seasons. They are listed as below.
1. Dawgs Women’s Microfiber 9 Inch Vegan Winter Boot
This eco-friendly Dawgs women’s winter boot is highly comfortable, stylish, and water resistant in nature.
This is made from 100% microfiber material which is very soft, flexible and offers good amount of warmth in the winter season.
Click Here to See Reviews and Price of Dawgs Women’s Microfiber Vegan Winter Boot.
2. Dr. Scholl’s Women’s Microfiber Rate Boot
This Dr. Scholl’s women’s microfiber Rate boot looks really stylish and classy.
Its Comfort Insole technology gives your feet the much needed support and cushioning.
Its premium construction and lightweight design makes it an ideal option for working class ladies.
Click Here to See Reviews and Price of Dr. Scholl’s Women’s Rate Boot.
3. Shoewhatever Women’s Mid Calf Microfiber Winter Boot
This Made in USA Shoewhatever women’s winter boot is made up of synthetic faux suede microfiber material.
Its faux fur lining provides good warmth for your feet in the winter season.
This highly comfortable and supportive footwear looks good with all types of shorts, skirts, leggings, and jeans.
Click Here to View Price and Reviews of Shoewhatever Mid Calf Microfiber Winter Boot for Women.
That’s it guys. I have tried my best to cover almost all topics related to microfiber leather shoes. I hope you have liked it already.
Don’t forget to share this ultimate guide with your friends and family members to increase the awareness about this new eco-friendly trend in footwear industry.