Top 10 Best Wrestling Shoes for Men 2018 Review
Welcome to VBM Best Reviews. Today we are presenting to you our Top 10 Best Wrestling Shoes for Men in 2018. This list comes with the most Comprehensive Buying Guide, Detailed Reviews and Customer Rating.
You can first take a look at our top 10 ranked wrestling shoes ranking. Then go to our complete buying guide for men's wrestling shoes and finally we have provided the detailed reviews for out top 5 ranked wrestling footwear. We believe this will truly help you take well informed and insightful buying decision when it comes to purchase your new wrestling shoes. Best of Luck!
Best Wrestling Shoes for Men
The Significance of Best Wrestling Shoes
Shoes are the basic essentials of any kind of attire. Whatever you choose to wear, your shoes play a major role in your overall performance and appearance.
There are many kinds of shoes for everyday wear. You may use them for casual, formal or for more style purpose. However, some shoes are particularly designed for a specific purpose. Sports shoes are one of that kind, that are molded and crafted to add comfort, use, and style to any game.
Among the sports footwear, the wrestling shoe is the most unique one and comes with multitude of special features. Just like any other shoes, this masterpiece is designed to have certain properties that are ideal for weightlifting, running, boxing and much more.
Where a usual shoe will only give you a basic covering, best wrestling shoes are created to offer lot more sport specific results. They actually help you play the wrestling sport in the right way. Very few people know the importance of having quality wrestling shoes for the wrestling activities.
This is why we have compiled some important information about the high quality wrestling shoes, the features you should be looking for and the top 5 shoes that we consider are the best wrestling shoes in the market right now.
Why Specialized Wrestling Shoes are Essential for Wrestling?
Wrestling is one of those sports where sure footing is vital. A little slip here or a little budge there can mean the difference between a win and a loss.
Also, any unstable shoe that don’t protect the bones of your feet or don’t prevent side to side movements, carry the risk of a foot injury. This surely can be disastrous for your health and for your wrestling career as well.
All these facts are more than enough to choose a special wrestling shoe that is actually made for the wrestling sport. Top quality wrestling shoes have all these features and they work tremendously where a strong connection between the foot, the toes, and the floor requires the most.
These types of special wrestling footwear aim to deliver protection, comfort, and stylishness at the same time. This ensures you to get the entire stronghold you need to perform extraordinarily in your sport.
Primary Features of Best Wrestling Shoes
Wrestling shoes are made to give balance for your feet during the sport. This is why a good wrestling she should have a great grip and should feel like establishing a strong connection between your feet and the floor. Here are some features that you should look for in some of the best wrestling shoes on the market.
Premium Quality of Material
The wrestling shoes needs to be lightweight and the type of material plays a big role in that. Synthetic material is the lightest and so, it is also the best choice for a good wrestling shoe.
One can argue that leather is more durable, but in the end, it all comes down to the overall performance of your shoe. Synthetic materials can create the lightest shoes which is what you need for your wrestling practice and for actual matches.
Proper Air Ventilation
Quality mesh vents, conditioning, and air ventilation are very important for your wrestling shoe. The constant humidity and warm build up may throw a wrestler off track.
This is why good wrestling shoes have mesh netting on the sides that allows a constant circulation of air in and out of the shoe. Highly breathable wrestling footwear can keep your feet dry and warm which is very critical aspect for your feet during the wrestling game.
Outsole with Good Grip and Traction
The outsole of your wrestling shoe must provide higher traction and grip on slippery surfaces. The quality rubber outsole of such wrestling footwear gives you great traction and grip.
The outsole with good grip and traction protects you from accidental slips and prevents potential foot injuries. Therefore you must always prefer a wresting shoe that offers higher grip and traction.
As mentioned previously, the weight plays a critical part in the final worth of the shoe. Ideally, the shoes should be as light as possible.
The light weight wrestling footwear works best for your matches that require higher mobility and balance. On the other side, the heavier kind is more suited for sports like weightlifting.
Integrated Lacing System
Integrated lacing system helps in concealing the ends of the laces. This system is really useful in preventing your laces from hurting or scratching your opponents.
They also secure your laces to prevent them from becoming untied at inappropriate times. This is the reason you must look for the shoe which comes with this integrated lacing system feature.
Extra Tie Strap
Extra tie strap is an additional lace around the top of these sports shoes. They help in securing your ankles while playing wrestling providing more comfort.
This emphasizes the durability of your shoe. Although your shoe won’t give in easily, ensuring they have strong stitches, especially at the weak points. This stitching helps you enjoy the shoe for as long as possible.
What are The Best Types of Wrestling Shoes?
There are a number of types of wrestling shoes, to the extent that there are different varieties in a single model. Naturally, each type is designed to make the shoe more comfortable and productive for the wearer.
Each kind of foot requires a separate tactic and separate approach for optimum performance while you take part in wrestling sport. This is why it is best to go for the shoes that suit your own foot type. Here we present the different types and which kind of feet they are best for.
Wrestling Shoes for Wide Feet Folks
Some of us have wide feet and for those folks, finding an appropriate shoe can be an uphill task. Shoes that are the right length may be too tight, making them very uncomfortable.
The solution to this problem is to opt for a bigger shoe. However, the sizing of the shoe not only differs by foot type but also changes brand to brand. While some can give you the much needed comfort if you go up by 1 size; others may require you to buy a shoe that is 2 sizes larger.
There are some wrestling shoes like the ASICS Split Second 9 that are known for their built for wide feet. Some other shoes for wide feet can be ASICS Snap Down and the Nike Takedown 4. This is because these shoes have wider fronts that can accommodate a wide sized foot easily.
Wrestling Shoes for Narrow Feet Folks
People with narrow feet are the lucky ones as almost any shoe can fit them perfectly. However, if you still feel a bit insecure, you can always consider going a size down.
This will help solve your issue in a jiffy. Generally, Adidas shoes are built for narrow feet. Even normally, you will have to choose a size bigger than your regular sized shoe.
Wrestling Shoes for Ankle Support
There is also the ankle support that you need to bear in mind. All wrestling shoes are designed to provide extra ankle support to ensure safety and security. But there are some that pay particular attention to this detail.
This is usually provided by the higher than ankle shoe top length, which resists side to side movement and helps your ankle move in the direction of the foot. Some shoes have an extra strap around the ankle for even more support for your ankles.
Wrestling Shoes for Different Arch Types
Apart from this, wrestling shoes are also made to be specific for different arch types. Whether your foot has low arch (flat feet), medium arch or high arch, there are different sizes of shoes available for your foot shape. Some people have flat feet and need arch support, whereas others don’t.
Wrestling Shoes for Different Age Category
Apart from this, wrestling shoes are designed for every class. May it be kids, male or female wrestlers, a perfect wrestling shoe will be available for every category.
The great thing about these shoes is that they can be used in a number of sports besides wrestling. Whether it is boxing, weightlifting, dead lifting or even running, the perfect wrestling shoes serve all these purposes and more.
What is the Best Brand of Wrestling Shoe?
Among so many magnificent names, choosing one will be unfair and untruthful. Every company, Adidas, Nike, ASICS, has produced masterpieces. There are other names in the market also, but professionals prefer to use shoes from these brands.
These brands have made their name and continue to provide highest quality wrestling footwear. Their shoes are always very comfortable, durable and protective ones which are usually made for all types of wrestlers out there.
Are Wrestling Shoes Good for Weightlifting?
Many people have asked this question and the one answer that we have is 'YES'. Weightlifting requires your feet to have a good connection with the ground.
It also demands to have a good grip and sustained ankle support. All these are qualities of a great wrestling shoe which makes it perfect footwear for weight lifting sport too.
Are Wrestling Shoes Good for Running?
Wrestling shoes give you the grip and the support that you need for running efficiently. The soles of the shoe matter a lot in running.
Runners require their shoes to be light, having a good grip at the same time. Wrestling shoes give you this kind of grip and traction on all kinds of roads and running platforms.
But there is a problem with durability. The life of a wrestling shoe, if used for running may be shortened considerably, which can be a downside to using these shoes for running activity.
So it all depends on you whether you really want to use your wrestling shoes for running. For more information on running with wrestling shoes, read these answers on Quora.com.
Wrestling Shoes vs. Boxing Shoes Comparison
Starting off with the basics, wrestling shoes have an arch to support your feet. At the same time, they are designed to have traction on the mat while boxing shoes have traction on the ring.
The boxing ring and wrestling ring are basically two very different places. Even the traction pattern is different.
Wrestling shoes have circular or forward facing patterns that allow for movement and even weight distribution. While, boxing shoes are designed for the movements expected in a ring, generally for the boxer’s various stances.
If you want more in-depth comparison between boxing and wrestling shoes, then read this article at MmaGearAddict.com site.
Wrestling Shoes vs. Weightlifting Shoes Comparison
Weightlifting shoes are generally unpadded and as close to the ground as possible. This allows them to transmit all the force from the ground to the feet. This gives you an almost barefoot experience.
These kinds of weight lifting footwear also have the right ankle support. But then again wrestling shoes have great ankle support too.
Wrestling shoes have a padding. But they are very light and maintain a very close relationship of your foot with the ground. Hence, you can also make use of right wrestling shoes for the purpose of weightlifting.
If you want more information, then read this UK-Muscle.co.uk forum discussion to know more comparison parameters between these two types of shoes.
Sizing and Fitting Guide for The Best Wrestling Shoes
Generally, the size of the shoe that would be perfect for you depends on each individual brand. Shoe sizes can even vary within a brand between different models.
Wrestlers should look for a shoe that is tighter than usual. However, a great thing to know is that wrestling shoes, just like any other shoe, loosen up after a bit of wearing. So, you need to get a size that is just a tiny bit tight.
If we consider by brand, ASICS wrestling shoes are generally tighter than usual. You will need to make adjustments. So it’s great if you choose a size larger than your regular size.
Adidas also follows the same pattern. Nike, on the other hand, is true to size. Although we still recommend you to stay safe and get half a size larger than your usual foot size. Click here to read more about the fitting recommendations for your new wrestling footwear.
Best Way to Break in New Wrestling Shoes
A good pair of wrestling shoes can be a sweet charm for new wrestling men. But straight out of the box; they are a bit stiff and stubborn to be what they really are; perfect.
So, how do you break in a new pair of wrestling shoes? Well, one way to start is by wearing them during the day while doing your tasks.
You can also go out and practice in them. This works wonders for the shoes. Wrestling practice may as well be the best way to tame these wild mustangs.
We suggest you start off breaking them in as soon as possible as a broken-in shoe is vital for the actual wrestling sport. You can also read this article to know more tips to break in your new wrestling shoes.
What is the Best Way to Lace Wrestling Shoes?
You might be surprised, but there is actually a different way of tying up wrestling shoes to make them more effective. You need to start at the toes and continue lacing up like any other shoe till you reach the very last holes.
This time, instead of crossing over the lace, take each lace and pass it through the hole on the same side. Then cross the ends of the laces and pass them through those hoops at the top and tie them for security.
There are some shoes that have different lacing systems that are even more effective. Some come with an additional ankle strap that can provide additional support.
Watch the following video to know how you can lace Adidas wrestling shoes with ease.
How to Wash Your Wrestling Shoes Without Damaging Them?
Wrestling shoes need special care. Such special shoes demand exceptional attention and need to be handled cautiously.
A. Start off with warm water in a bowl, not adding any kind of detergent. Dip a soft wash cloth into the bowl and then use it to wipe off the dirt from the shoe.
B. Wash off the stains in a gentle circular motion. Once you are done, you can leave out your shoes in the open to dry overnight. Remember not to pat or wipe them dry as this might damage them.
C. One more thing to mention here is after few days of usage, these wrestling shoes tend to get smelly and produce bad odor. But you don’t need to worry about it.
You can easily remove this odor or bad smell from your shoes with the help of vinegar. Watch the following video to know how to use vinegar to remove smell from your wrestling shoes.
Can You Wear Socks with Wrestling Shoes?
Yes, you can wear socks with wrestling shoes. Many players, including Matt Hardy, do. However, many people suggest you to not wear them. This is due to the fact that wrestling shoes provide ventilation to your feet, which can be completely blocked by wearing socks.
On the other hand, socks can act as a sweat absorbent and can provide cushioning effect for your foot. You can also use them as a fashion statement as you look cool in your shoes accompanied by colored socks.
Where Can I Buy Quality Wrestling Shoes?
Wrestling shoes are available at all the brand outlets. May it be Adidas, Nike or ASICS; they are sure to have your shoe size for you.
However, an easier and more efficient way to get your hands on these beauties is by ordering them online. You can do so on popular online shopping sites such as Amazon, Walmart, Zappos, etc.
These popular online portals offer you the best, legit wrestling shoes at reasonable prices. The great thing is that you don’t even have to step out to search for them. Simply order them at home, sitting in your coach. And avail the chance of owning the most comfortable, durable and high quality wrestling footwear at your doorstep.
Review of Top 5 Wrestling Shoes for Men in 2018
Here we provide our carefully researched and reviewed top 5 best wrestling shoes on the market of 2018. This review will really help you choose the best and the most suitable wrestling footwear for your feet.
These classic shoes are one of the greatest examples of comfort and quality. The ASICS Men’s JB Elite V2.0 Wrestling Shoe takes wrestling shoes to a whole new level. Its sleek design and simplicity make it stand out in a whole catalogue of wrestling shoes.
They are perfect for any kind of wrestling, running or weightlifting sports. Plus these shoes have a number of features that make it to our no. 5 most comfortable and durable wrestling shoes ranking.
- Synthetic Material Construction: These shoes have a synthetic built construction. They are made from the highest quality synthetic material which makes them one of the most lightweight and durable sports shoes.
- Rubber Sole with Great Grip and Traction: This shoe has a durable rubber sole with a sophisticated traction pattern. This type of sole provides a great grip and support for your feet when you play the sport.
- Open Mesh Upper Design: The upper of the shoe has an open mesh design. This mesh covering is designed to provide exemplary ventilation for improved comfort and breathability.
- Integrated Lace Garage System: This ASICS JB Elite 2.0 Shoe has got a unique lacing system. Its integrated lace system covers the laces. This greatly helps you to protect your feet from any type of harm which your wrestling opponent might cause you during the sport.
- The Split Sole: The shoe also has a split sole design which works perfectly to enhance traction on the mat. They also work to make the shoe extremely flexible, providing support in every direction.
- 5-inch Shaft: It also possesses about 5 inches of shaft height. It is completely designed to support the ankle while enhancing the overall style of your shoe.
- Relatively Affordable Option: Even with so many qualities, the ASICS JB Elite 2.0 is available at a very affordable price range. This makes them an affordable wrestling shoe choice for all newbie and aspiring wrestlers.
- Sophisticated Design and Quality Craftsmanship: These ASICS wrestling shoes are some of the very stylish footwear that you can find on the market. With its sleek look, striking combinations and elegant silhouette, the shoes really are a masterpiece.
- Very Lightweight and Flexible Too: The shoes are very light in terms of its weight which is a good thing for a wrestler. At the same time, they are flexible which is helpful for easy pivoting. At the same time, it provides you the freedom to move in the direction you please while wrestling.
- Smaller Sizes: These ASICS shoes are a bit smaller as compared with the general size in ASICS shoes. This gives rise to a lot of confusion when buying such kinds of ASICS wrestling shoes. A good suggestion is to buy a size larger than what you normally wear in ASICS when you place your order online.
- Less Flexible in the Center: We would have liked the shoes to be flexible uniformly, but these have slightly less flex in the center. Still, it isn’t significant enough to be very evident or affect the performance of these shoes.
As you already have seen that these ASICS Men’s JB Elite V2.0 Wrestling Shoes are very lightweight, flexible, and come with high quality craftsmanship standards. They are very affordable to buy and come in variety of sizes and colors. Current customers have rated this shoe 4.4 out of 5 and we give it 4.5 out of 5 due to its high performance ability in wrestling sport.
This ASICS Men’s Dave Shultz Classic Wrestling Shoe gives a really vintage look that is elegant and very unique. The retro design is beautiful which speaks for the shoes itself. The amazing bit is the shoes having elegant contours that really brings out the 80s feel.
- Synthetic Texture: Its synthetic texture and build add the light feel which is a true characteristic of a good wrestling shoe.
- 6-inch Shaft: This particular wrestling shoe possesses about 6 inches of shaft height. This really helps in getting excellent ankle support for your feet.
- Ultrasuede Uppers: The shoe has an Ultrasuede upper design. This provides the shoe a different, yet sophisticated appearance that is built to last.
- 360 Degree Stitched Down Sole: The shoe comes with an extraordinary 360 degree stitched down sole design. This gives the shoe the much needed security and durability. This in turn also enhances the overall strength to the sole of the shoe.
- Rubber Sole with Good Grip: This ASICS Dave Schultz classic shoe is also equipped with premium quality rubber sole. This sole has a focused traction pattern that helps to increase the grip of the shoe.
- Durable to Use: It’s a misconception that the wrestling shoes do not last longer. If the material quality used is excellent, you can expect your wrestling shoes to be more durable and long lasting.
- Surely, these ASICS Dave Schultz shoes are built to last much longer as compared to the other regular shoes. These shoes are made with the highest quality materials and construction techniques. This increases their durability and they sure don’t disappoint.
- Very Comfortable and Supportive: The shoes are really comfortable to use. They feel soft too, thanks to the cushioning effect of the materials selected specifically for this purpose.
- No Waterproof Construction: Unfortunately, these shoes do not have waterproof design by nature. Therefore, the chances are you can get them messy and dirty if you step into puddles of water. So, we recommend using them for indoor purpose only.
- Uncomfortable Running: If you do plan to use these shoes for regular running, beware of our caution here. They tend to be uncomfortable if you run in them for a longer period of time. Therefore, it is advisable to use them for wrestling purpose only.
Certainly, these ASICS Wrestling Shoes are one of the most durable and well cushioned shoes in our list of the best wrestling shoes for men. They are lightweight and comfortable to use.
We advise you to not use them for your running practice and only use them for wrestling to avoid its deterioration. Its average customer rating is about 4.2 out of 5 and we give it 4.6 out of 5.
Coming in at number 3 are the Adidas Performance Men’s Adizero XIV Wrestling Shoes. These peculiar shoes are the perfect combination of modern technology and classic heritage. Incorporating both features into a single shoe, Adidas has not created just shoes, but has created masterpiece of wrestling footwear.
- Outsole with Rubber and Suede Inserts: This Adidas shoe comes with top quality rubber outsole and suede insoles. They both provide excellent grip and traction which is very important for any wrestler.
- Well Cushioned Sole: The sole of this shoe gives you a great cushioning. It also adds traction patterns that give you sure footing on the mat and other types of surfaces.
- Synthetic and Textile Covering: Adidas Adizero XIV also possesses synthetic as well as textile covering design. This obviously emphasizes its overall appearance. At the same time, it enhances its futuristic look of the shoe. It infuses flexibility which is required for the perfect maneuvers during the sport.
- Quick Dry Technology: This Adidas footwear is equipped with advanced quick dry technology. This technology immensely decreases the hassle of having to air and dry your wrestling shoes constantly.
- Most Fashionable and Elegant Design: Really Stylish and head-turning design which makes it one of the most fashionable statements in wrestling shoes.
- Perfect and Balanced Fitting: Glove-like fit to ensure maximum contact of the shoe with the floor. This offers you maximum stability and balance on the mat while wrestling.
- It Takes A bit of Time to Break-in: The shoe is a little bit narrow and tight. So, it could be uncomfortable in the beginning. Because it takes some time to break in. The shoes can be a bit hard for you if you have wide feet.
- Somewhat Tight Fitting: Some fitting issues as the shoes are generally tight for few folks who have smaller sized feet. People need to get a size larger than they usually wear in the brand.
Apart from some tight fitting and longer break-in time period, there are no major issues with this Adidas Adizero XIV wrestling shoe. It comes with many exciting and useful features such as quick dry technology, suede insole, well balanced and supportive outsole, etc.
Plus it is one of the most fashionable and attractive shoes I have seen in wrestling category. Most customers have given it the rating of 4.4 out of 5 and we also give it a much higher rating of 4.7.
The unique and attractive design of Adidas Men’s Combat Speed 4 Wrestling Shoe earns it the 2nd place in our roundup. The shoes are the ideal equipment for any wrestler, being comfortable, durable and stylish all at the same time. The shoes are definitely beyond our expectations due to the following amazing features.
- Premium Leather Construction: This shoe is built with very premium quality leather material. This top notch construction makes the shoe extremely durable and classy.
- Perfect Fitting: Its unique sock-like fitting helps in minimizing the difference between the floor and your feet. This gives an almost naked foot appearance; which in turn provides you better stability and support.
- Breathable Mesh Design: The shoe incorporates mesh at both the sides. This offers greater amount of breathability and ventilation that keeps your feet warm, dry and sweat free.
- Velcro Strap: This particular Adidas wrestling shoe comes with durable Velcro strap. This strap offers additional ankle support for your feet. This in turn secures your feet while you perform complex maneuvers in wrestling.
- Suede Outsole: The outsole of this Adidas shoe is great in terms of its material quality because it is made from suede leather. It provides excellent traction and grip on slippery surfaces. Thus it prevents any haphazard spins and avoids any potential foot injuries.
- Easy Complex Moves: If you want to move faster and comfortably with your shoes in wrestling, you definitely need the most cushioned and perfect fitting shoes just like this Adidas Combat Speed 4 shoe. It basically allows you to perform complex stances and moves during a match, thanks to its die-cut midsole.
- Very Lightweight in Nature: These shoes are really light in terms of their overall weight. Having lightweight footwear is really important for any wrestling, weightlifting or boxing match. This gives you the comfort of being as close to being barefoot as possible.
- Somewhat Slippery: In some cases, this shoe is a bit of slippery on certain floors. This could cause some inconvenience for you. The shoe is perfect on the mat, but on gym floors, there is a little bit tendency of slipping.
- Not Very Durable: Yes, it is not as long lasting as one would expect it to be. The soles wear out pretty fast and the appearance may be affected after few months of usage.
Yes, this Adidas Men’s Combat Speed 4 Wrestling Shoe is certainly one of the most breathable, comfortable, and well cushioned wrestling footwear. It certainly allows you to perform more complex moves in wrestling without getting your feet hurt.
At the same time, they are very lightweight in use. But they do come with their own limitations such as lack of durability and gym floor slipping, etc. But even with these limitations, these shoes are certainly much better than their other competitors. This is why we have ranked them at no.2 and give them the rating of 4.8 out of 5.
So, we have finally reached to our ultimate wrestling shoe rank. ASICS Men’s Aggressor 2 Wrestling Shoe comes at number 1 on our list and this one sure has qualities to justify its position.
This extreme wear is a cross between stylish footwear and the essentials of a wrestling shoe. This has resulted in the perfect hybrid. They have also been designated as the best wrestling shoes from the ASICS family.
- State of the Art Construction: The shoe comes with a quality textile covering. This gives the shoe very high breathability and durability as well.
- Quality Rubber Sole with Strong Grip: The outsole of this ASICS shoe is really soft in nature. It also adds a cushioning effect to the shoe. Its outsole is uniquely branded with sophisticated traction patterns to ensure a strong grip and prevent slips.
- Hook and Loop Lace Closure System: This ASICS wrestling shoe possesses unique hook and loop lace closure system. It greatly helps in securing the laces and providing extra security. It is immensely helpful in preventing unexpected injuries that could happen to your opponents in the match.
- Added Ankle Strap: The shoe comes with additional ankle strap in the mix. This extra ankle support makes it easy for the individual to make complex moves in all directions possible while playing a wrestling match.
- Creative and Attractive Design: This ASICS shoe has a very unique design and fashionable looks. Its premium construction and attractive design is responsible for its enhanced aesthetics and fashionable presence.
- Allows Fast and Injury Free Movements: The shoe is equipped with strong lace closure system and strong grip outsole. At the same time it is extremely flexible which serves the purpose well. It helps you to perform complicated motions and complex footwork with accuracy.
- Less Durability: Like almost all sports shoes, this ASICS shoe is also no exception. It wears down a bit faster. The outsole and the covering are the parts which takes quick damage and most heat.
- A Tad Bit Slippery: Yes, this shoe is also a little slippery on the gym floors. The shoes take quite some time to break in and could be little slippery on the mat.
We have ranked ASICS Men’s Aggressor 2 Wrestling Shoe as our number 1 best wrestling shoe of 2017. The reasons are obvious ones. It is pretty fashionable, attractive in looks, allows injury free moves and is very comfortable to use.
Yes, there are some downsides such as less life span and slipperiness on mats. Still, this shoe is one of the best and the highly recommended wrestling shoes by the wrestlers among the world. We have given it 4.9 out of 5 and greatly recommend you to try it to see the results.