Buyer's Guide to Choose Only The Quality Waterproof Work Boots
How Should I Find Only The Best Waterproof Work Boots?
I am sure you are here just for the reason to find out the best pair of waterproof work boots. I know it can be a very daunting and time consuming task provided there are number of options to choose from. There are several online stores where you can purchase these waterproof work shoes at great discounts. But before you go buy any pair of shoes blindly online, it is best for you to make an informed decision based on the right knowledge and know-how about such types of boots.
What are The Primary Characteristics of Best Waterproof Work Boots?
There are few important characteristics which you should look for while purchasing any waterproof work shoe online. Those characteristics or features are as follows. Here is a little video explaining the most important features needed to be present in the waterproof work boots. Take a look.
1) Durability: Obviously, if you are going to shell out $100 - $500 on a waterproof work boot, you need to make sure it gives you the best returns on your investment. There are basically two types of work shoes you can choose from. The first is water resistant and the second one is waterproof.
Now if you care for the safety and maximum protection of your feet, you should definitely give preference to 100% waterproof boots. Water resistant shoes are ok but they are not good for longer duration wearing. Your feet may feel soggy after hours of working in the mud, water and ice in case you wear water resistant shoes.
Therefore, 100% waterproof work shoes is what you should be looking for while purchasing them online. These types of boots are obviously highly durable and provide highest ROI.
2) Highly Comfortable: The second feature of best work boots is their comfort factor. While at work, you need to wear such shoes for extended time period. There can be several hazardous conditions in which you might be working. In these conditions, your shoes must provide you maximum safety along with high comfort.
If you are not at all comfortable at work and experience aching feet then it is of no use wearing such work boots. When you go for shopping such types of shoes online, it is important to see that these shoes possess cushioned interiors and absorbing insoles. These features help you get maximum possible comfort for longer time period while you are at work.
3) Right Amount of Insulation: The third most important feature or a characteristic of best waterproof work boot is the good amount of insulation in the interior of the shoe. It is true that you need to keep your feet dry all the time while you work. But just keeping your feet dry is not sufficient in the cold and extreme weather conditions. Your feet must remain warm all the time at work.
This is only possible when you buy the work boot that provides highest possible insulation in the interiors. Therefore, good interior insulation is also the important feature of the best waterproof work boot.
4) Maximum Stability: At work, getting highest possible stability is crucial to avoid accidental falling down or sliding around on the ground. Using shoes that provide poor stability can increase chances of such accidents and possible injuries at work.
So, having shoes that offer highest stability should be your priority while buying them. Best quality waterproof work boots possess slip resistant tread and outsoles. Such boots with slip-resistant tread and outsoles can greatly help you getting stability at work and avoid any potential body injuries at work.
5) Other Important Features: To get extra toughness and protection at work, your shoes must have steel toes. Having puncture resistant material for your boot can help you gain maximum safety and security for yourself. Therefore, steel toe waterproof work boot is preferable in case you want to have extra safety and protection at work. Here are some other buying tips that you must remember while shopping for these boots.
Basic Types of Waterproof Work Boots
There are four primary categories of waterproof work shoes. For men, women, boys and girls; there are different models available online to choose from. Depending on the usage, there are four types of waterproof work shoes. Those are classified as plain toe, safety toe, slip and oil resistant and finally insulated shoes. Based on the manufacturing method, there are two primary classifications of waterproof shoes.
The primary factors that affect the manufacturing of these types of boots are barrier type, and protecting material type. The first category is known as shoes that are made from leather and taped seams. In this category, silicone is used for leather coating to prevent moisture.
In these boots, seams are taped from inside to avoid potential leaks. Another category is known as waterproof liners. In this category, the special waterproof barriers are directly built inside the shoes to avoid dampness and wetness. Such types of shoes with waterproof liners like Gore-Tex are usually best for keeping your feet dry and they are highly durable in nature too.
There are lots of popular shoes brands that provide such types of boots at great discounts. Boot manufactures such as Wolverine, Timberland, Ariat, Rocky, Caterpillar, Danner, Justin, and many others provide quality 100% waterproof work shoes. Depending on the characteristics and features we have already provided above, we have come up with our own top 15 best waterproof work boots for 2014. Take a look at the list above and choose your favorite one.
Primary Benefits of Waterproof Work Boots
I don’t have to tell you about the importance and significance of waterproof work shoes. But for those who want detailed overview, I am providing some of the most essential benefits of such types of boots. The first benefit is their durability. They are highly durable and long lasting in hazardous work conditions like snow, extreme cold, heat, rainy season, etc.
The second thing is they are really comfortable and provides great cushioning to your feet. The third thing is they are 100% waterproof which means your feet remain dry and warm all the time while working. Fourth benefit is good amount of traction on the outsoles and insoles. Fifth benefit is great support and safety for your ankles and feet. Sixth benefit is the great flexibility and stability.
And last but not the least benefit is their water, oil, chemical, abrasion, heat and slip resistant soles. Now that we have covered most of the benefits of these shoes, let’s go through the review of the top 5 waterproof work boots available today in the market.
What is the Best Way to Waterproof Your Work Boots?
I know there are lots of methods that people implement to make their nubuck and suede leather work boots more waterproof. Some people use waterproofing sprays, some use creams and pastes while some even make use of different types of oils and some other weird objects.
What I am about to tell you today is a very simple, natural and successfully tested home method. This super-efficient and safe home remedy will help you to quickly waterproof all kinds of leather work boots. So, lets get to the point now.
Ingredients You Will Need:
1. A Bottle of Essential Oils (I recommend using Sandalwood essential oils for pleasant smelling)
2. White Petroleum Jelly
4. Suede Brush
5. Boot Cleaning Brush
Waterproofing Procedure Explained:
1. Take a metal can and put about 8 ounces of petroleum jelly into it.
2. You can take help of home electronic scale for measuring the weight of these ingredients.
3. Then take out 2 ounces of beeswax and put it aside for next few minutes.
4. Now its time to put a metal can containing petroleum jelly inside the pot which is full of water.
5. And put the water pot on the gas burner and boil the water for few minutes. This will slowly melt the jelly inside the can.
6. Once you see the petroleum jelly has become liquid, then add the beeswax inside the metal can.
7. Now slowly mix both the ingredients well with the help of spoon. Once you see both the components are mixed properly, its time to mix your sandalwood essential oil into the mixture.
8. The smell obtained by adding sandalwood oil will be really amazing to experience in person.
9. Once you mix all the ingredients well, take out the metal can from the gas burner and let it cool off for next 5 to 10 minutes.
10. Only precaution you will need to take here is do not allow to cool the mixture completely. Let it is be somewhat warm and not cold completely. In my experience, the warm mixture helps to waterproof your work boots more quickly and effectively.
11. I recommend you to use a quality suede brush to apply this mixture to your boots.
12. Now apply this mixture carefully to all the parts of your work boot. Make sure that you perform the full coating of the liquid waterproofing mixture with the help of a suede brush.
13. Once you apply this mixture completely to your boot, use a scrubber brush to remove the excess stuff from your boots.
14. When you see all the excess stuff is gone, let your boots become dry for at least next 24 hours.
15. You can also use a wet cotton cloth to get rid of remaining dirt and white stuff from your boots.
16. If you want to strengthen this waterproof coating, you can reheat the already prepared mixture of beeswax, petroleum gel and sandalwood oil. Another coating of this mixture will further enhance and strengthen the waterproof coating of your leather and suede work boots.
Now to understand this procedure clearly, you will need to watch the following video carefully. Watch it till the end so that you will know how to exactly implement this waterproofing method.
This method that I found works really well when you repeat it as and when required. Whether you work in rainy or muddy regions; your leather, suede and nubuck work boots will remain waterproof for longer period of time by implementing this simple and repeatable waterproofing procedure.
What is the Best Waterproof Spray for Your Work Boots?
Honestly, I am not that big fan of using waterproofing spray on my shoes and boots. However, folks who don’t have much time preparing the above waterproofing method and want much faster results without much hard work, can use such sprays that are available in the market.
One of the most effective and faster results producing waterproofing spray that I found is Cadillac Select Premium Leather Protection Spray. This Made in USA spray not just works on shoes and boots, but you can also use it to waterproof your daily use leather products such as your leather purses, bags, jackets, belts and even your home furniture to some extent.
When sprayed on your boots, it will create an invisible layer of waterproofing. This simple method can protect your boot from water, mud, dirt and oil, etc. Therefore, your feet remain dry for long period; thanks to the waterproof coating that gets created by this spray.
The best thing that I found in this Cadillac waterproofing spray is its silicon free content. This helps to maintain the breathability factor of your boot even after it is sprayed.
As far as the usage is concerned, it is really simple to apply the waterproof coating on all your leather boots with this spray. First you will need to clean your boots with wet cotton cloth and then slowly use the spray on your boot.
Here, you need to spray all the parts of your boot. Don’t leave any tiny portions or seams of your boot without spraying. Let them dry for few hours once spraying is done.
That’s it. Your boots are now ready to use. They will remain waterproof for long period.
You can use the spray again when you feel that the coating is getting ineffective and water is getting absorbed in your work boots.
Reviews of Top 5 Waterproof Work Boots
This is our no.1 pick based on various features we have discussed above. These shoes are highly comfortable and lightweight in nature. They are equipped with ATS (Advanced Torque Stability) which provides them highest possible stability while working in the mud, ice, water, etc.
Its unique feature is its Easy-on-U-Turn Entry hidden flex gore which provides high arches and wide widths. It also provides great cushion for feet which results in lower fatigue and provides good posture. Ariat waterproof work boots offer great amount of torsional stability and good cushioning decreases impact stress on hips, lower back and knees. These 100% waterproof work shoes also possess good amount of breathability.
Verdict: 4.6 Customer Ratings.
Moderate Cost and Highly Durable and Comfortable Shoes.
Click Here for the Latest Customer Reviews and Discounted Price of Ariat Men's Ironside H20 Waterproof Work Boot.
No. 2 in our top 15 boots list is Danner men’s radical 452 GTX outdoor shoe. Its made up of high quality full grain nubuck leather material. They are equally comfortable and provide safety to feet while working in hazardous conditions. Its scuff-proof toe cap provides additional protection for your feet.
It has highly breathable fabric accents which provide extra comfort and stability. This shoe is also great for hiking and backpacking in wet weather conditions. It has special Terra Force midsole which offer maximum support, comfort and stability to your feet in slippery conditions.
Verdict: 4.6 Customer Ratings.
Moderately Priced and Highly Comfortable and Provides Good Stability.
Chippewa waterproof work boots are our no. 3 pick which comes very close to above Danner and Ariat shoes in terms of comfort and stability factors. It is made up of high quality Goodyear leather welt material.
This 100% waterproof lather material keeps your feet dry and warm. It also protects you from any injuries while working in the mud, snow, rain and sleet, etc. It is possible to get good traction and stability due to its thick treaded rubber outsole.
Verdict: 4.6 Customer Ratings.
Slightly Higher on The Price Point.
But Still Worth Every Penny. Highly Recommended.
Its our no.4 most favorite waterproof work boot. Wolverine work boots are some of the most cost effective and highly flexible shoes in this category. Its Wolverine Contour Welt construction is responsible for achieving great flexibility.
Its rubber sole is completely waterproof, abrasion, chemical and slip resistant in nature. These shoes provide you great comfort at the same time because of thick cushioning in the footbed. Wolverine work boots have stitched welt and round soft toe that offer safety and security for your feet.
Verdict: 4.5 Customer Ratings.
Highly Cost Effective and Comfortable in Nature.
This Georgia waterproof work boot is made up of waterproof SPR barnyard acid resistant leather material. Its padded collar provides great comfort while working in the muddy and rainy conditions. This boot provides good traction and support for your feet due to its full leather construction.
It has moisture wicking lining which keep your feet cool and dry while working. This shoe also possesses a slip-resistant rubber outsole that is responsible for getting good stability and support during your work. People who are constantly walking at their job should wear this boot because it has some of the most flexible soles available.
Verdict: 4.5 Customer Ratings.
Medium Cost Shoes.
Highly Stable and Flexible in Nature.
Click Here for the Latest Customer Reviews and Discounted Price of Georgia Boot Men's Flex Point 6" Work Boot.
So, these are our top 5 best waterproof work boots reviews. There are great discounts available on these shoes at Amazon.com. You can visit the site to make your purchase now.